Water streets. A prosperous career apparently was 
before him in this line of mercantile business when the 
fire of '71 occurred. The firm hat heavily, but was able 
to pay dollar for dollar. Mr. lerewster continued with 
the firm until July 1 of the following year, when he 
retired, and, with Mr. John H. Wrenn, opened a gen- 
eral banking and brokerage business on Wabash avenue, 
near Congress street, under the name of Wrenn & 
Brewster. Although organized but a short time, they 
successfully weathered the panic of 1873, and con- 
ducted a prosperous business until the dissolution of 
the firm in January, 1876. 
Mr. Brewster then continued alone in the same line 
of business for several years. In 1881 he admitted Mr. 
Charles C. Yoe as a partner, and two years later he took 
over the Chicago business of Messrs. Gwynne & Day, 
bankers and brokers. Mr. Edward P. Russell became a 
partner in 1896 and in 1899 Mr. Walter S. Brewster 
was admitted to the firm. The business has continued, 
however, under the name of Edward L. Brewster & Co., 
and its guiding hand has been the same that organ- 
ized it. 
Mr. Brewster has been a member of the Board of 
Trade since 1873, and of the New York Stock Ex- 
change since 1881. He was married to Miss Mary 
Niles, daughter of Hiram Niles of Buffalo, New York. 
Six children have been born to them, of whom three 
Malcolm M. Jamieson, of the firm of Jamieson & 
Co., bankers and brokers, was born in Castleton, Ver- 
mont, on May 27, 1846. His father, Dr. Egbert Jamie- 
son, was an eminent surgeon, and held the chair of 
surgery in both Castleton (Vermont) and Albany (New 
York) Medical colleges. His mother, who before her 
marriage was Miss Caroline Woodward, was a daugh- 
ter of Professor Theodore Woodward, president of the 
Castleton Medical College. 
Young Jamieson was one of nine children. His par- 
ents came West when he was about three years of age 
and settled in Racine, Wisconsin. It was here he re- 
ceived his education, passing through private schools 
and later attending Racine College. His father, who 
had become surgeon of the First Wisconsin Regiment 
at the outbreak of the war, died while in service, during 
the latter part of 1863, and Mr. Jamieson was thus com- 
pelled to shift for himself. 
The following spring he came to Chicago and 
secured a position in the offices of the Chicago, Mil- 
waukee & St. Paul Railway, where he remained for two 
years, leaving at the close of that time to accept a 
position as cashier in the wholesale dry-goods house of 
S. T. Jackson & Co. He continued in the employ of 
this then well-known establishment until it failed in 
1869, and through the influence of this firm he was 
offered, and accepted, the position of receiving teller 
in the Fourth National Bank, and some few months 
later, when this institution sold out to the Manufactur- 
ers' National Bank, he continued in the same position 
with them until the panic of 1873 swept them out of 
existence. He was then offered a position with the 
First National Bank as teller, where he remained until 
1886. Mr. Jamieson then resigned his position with 
that bank and went into the banking and brokerage 
business for himself, becoining associated with Mr. Wil- 
liam S. Morse, under the firm name of Morse, Jamieson 
& Co. Mr. Morse, however, withdrew from the firm 
some years later, because of ill-heálth, and at that time 
Mr. Jamieson entered into partnership with Mr. R. C. 
Nickerson, under the firm name of Jamieson & Co., 
which is to-day one of the best-known banking and 
brokerage houses in Chicago. 
Mr. Jamieson is popular in social circles, and claims 
membership in the Chicago Club, the Union Club, of 
which he has been secretary ; the Saddle and Cycle Club, 
the Glenview Golf Club, the Saginaw Club of Philadel- 
phia. He is an old member of the Chicago Stock Ex- 
change, of which he has been vice-president and presi- 
Roland Crosby Nickerson, son of Samuel M. and 
Matilda (Crosby) Nickerson, was born in Chicago on 
July 27, 1859. He received his education partly in this 
city, but went abroad when he was but thirteen years 
of age, and spent five years in study at various institu- 
tions of learning in Switzerland, Hanover and Paris. 
Upon his return to this country in 1877 he entered the 
First National Bank as receiving teller, remaining in