THE CHICAGO GHETTO. 105 
persecuted Jew, the lack of industrial adaptability. The 
building, which has a seating capacity of eight hun- 
dred, contains twenty-two rooms. The machine-shop 
accommodates thirty boys, and the joining-shop thirty- 
five. There are also moulding, drawing, sewing, and 
kindergarten rooms, and a physical and chemical labora- 
tory. When the school was opened in October, 1890, 
there were sixteen hundred applicants, of whom eleven 
hundred were accepted ; but lack of accommodation 
compelled the sending of two hundred of those in 
better circumstances to the public schools. Since then 
the enrollment has never been less than nine hundred. 
The school is not only accomplishing its mission in pro- 
viding the much-needed manual training, but is doing 
what the public schools failed to do, destroying the pre- 
judice in favor of the private schools, the " Cheder," 
conducted by inexperienced teachers, called by the chil- 
dren " Rebbi," but not to be confused with the Rabbis. 
These Talmud schools, which have not by any means 
been exterminated, are held in little stuffy rooms, where, 
with insufficient light, young boys ruin their eyesight 
over Hebrew characters, distort their minds with rab- 
binical casuistry, impair their constitutions in unventi- 
lated rooms, and defer the hopes of American citizen- 
ship by the substitution of Jalisch for English. The 
able, progressive superintendent of the Jewish Training- 
School and his carefully chosen associates are a God- 
send to this people. 
The Ghetto students who advance to the public high 
schools are a great credit to the community, one recently 
taking the highest honors in the gift of the West Divis- 
ion High School. There were formerly night sessions